Each year I get excited as we get closer and closer to Easter Sunday. This is the church service that I wait for all year. Listening to the talented music and the message of Jesus Christ risen as the sun comes up facing the Washington Monument is epic. It is certainly something you must experience in person.
Easter Sunday is the Superbowl of the Faith. There is excitement in the air and anticipation as we celebrate the foundation of the Christian faith. It is amazing to be gathered in one place at the same time praising the Creator in the midst of the sunrise. In America we are blessed with the freedom to be able to celebrate and worship God in public at a historic monument.
Capital Church in Vienna, VA has been conducting this special service for over 30 years at the Lincoln Memorial in the heart of Washington DC.
1. Get there early – it starts at 6:30 AM. I recommend arriving at 6 AM.
2. Bring a blanket – it tends to be cold early in the morning before the sun rises.
3. Relaxed Dress – no need for a suit and tie. I normally wear jeans and a sweater/sweatshirt
4. Parking – fairly easy… you can park directly on Constitution Ave or one of the side streets like (21st – 17th Street)
5. Be prepared for the special phrase: “He is Risen” and your response: “He is Risen Indeed”
I am thankful every year that this special service occurs in our backyard in the Nation’s Capitol. If you are a Nellis Group client please contact us as we would love to sit with you at the service (seats fill up fast). In addition, we go out to breakfast afterwards. Look forward to seeing you and thousands of others this Sunday morning before the sun rises.